2021 Sc – Annunciation Monastery, Nizhny Novgorod Scott –


Out of stock

2021. Annunciation Monastery, Nizhny Novgorod.
Condition: MNHOG.
Catalogs: Scott -, Standard Collection -, Michel -.
Issued on: June 29, 2021.
Perforation: 11¾.
Printing: Offset lithography.
Face value: 50 ₽.

Annunciation Monastery – an Orthodox male monastery in Nizhny Novgorod. Established in 1221, it was destroyed in 1229. Rebuilt, it functioned continuously until 1919, after which it was closed by the Soviet authorities. Restituted in 1993. Located on the bank of the Oka river.

The monastery was established by Grand Duke Yuriy Vsevolodovich and Vladimir Bishop Simon at the time of the founding of Nizhny Novgorod. The summoning of the monastery may prove that the founder intended it to be a missionary outpost, spreading Christianity among the local pagan population. Monastery there was only eight years old in 1229 because of its wooden buildings were completely destroyed during the invasion Mordvinian Prince Purgasa.

The monastery was rebuilt on the initiative of the Metropolitan of Kiev (residing in Moscow) Alexiy in 1370, and in 1371 the first church was built on its premises – a brick one-dome temple with the same call as the whole community. Alexiy gave the monastery a miraculous copy of the Korsunska Icon of the Mother of God . This image was kept in the monastery until the times of the USSR, when it was confiscated, its further fate is unknown. Currently, a copy of it is displayed in the iconostasis of the Council of the Annunciation.

In the 14th century, the monastery received land grants from the great princes of Suzdal and Nizhny Novgorod, as well as a number of private gifts. This allowed for the rapid development of the community. The monastery was treated as a branch of the metropolitan house in Moscow. After the dissolution of the patriarchy and the creation of the Holy Ruling Synod in 1721, the monastery initially retained the status of a community directly subordinated to the Synod. In 1764, about 50-60 monks and obedients lived in the monastery. In that year, the monastery was included among the 3rd class monasteries and transferred to the jurisdiction of the Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas bishops. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the older monastic churches were rebuilt. In 1837, the construction of the church of St. Alexius and the chapel of the same invocation .

By the end of the 19th century, the monastery had accumulated an extensive library of manuscripts and historic books from the 16th and 19th centuries. Among them was the Gospel Book of 1575, a copy of the Orthodox Church Act of 1607, the Apostle of 1694, a book with the signature of Patriarch Germogen and an 11th-century collection of contakions and other Orthodox chants from with notes in the traditional notation.

The monastery was closed by the Soviet authorities in 1919. The Orthodox parish only preserved the church of St. Andrew. During the confiscation of Orthodox church valuables from the former monastic churches, the most valuable pieces of equipment were taken out. In 1923, on the orders of the authorities, the chapel of St. Alexius, citing the lack of artistic value as the reason. Therefore, the parish council of St. Andrzeja agreed that the monastery buildings would become the property of the museum which used church buildings as an exhibition area. In 1928, the church of St. Andrew was closed and all its furnishings became the property of the state, then the monastery buildings left the last monks, who are still there despite the formal liquidation of the community. In 1949, in the church of St. Alexius had a planetarium.

In 1960 the monastery complex was recognized as a historic monument, but for the next decade it was not renovated and its technical condition was gradually deteriorating. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was partially renovated. In 1991, the Nizhny Novgorod eparchy regained the main temple of the monastery – the Annunciation Cathedral. The monastery was restored in 1993 by the metropolitan of Nizhny Novgorod, Nicholas.

Categories: ,
SKU: 2021-Monastery-2